We celebrated a huge milestone in our home this weekend, our oldest turned twenty years old! I am feeling really old typing this, realizing I have a 20 year old daughter … and I honestly do not know where the time has gone. I can still remember holding that sweet baby girl in my arms at the hospital twenty years ago when she made me a mommy. From before she took her first breath, my love for her has been overwhelming. I long to see her dreams come true and this desire is what prompted her birthday gift this year.
For years she has loved everything Parisian, so the theme was an easy one to work with. The hardest part was surprising her!
Anyone who knows her well, knows she is our little Nancy Drew detective. She has always been the one peeking in closets for signs of what gifts may be under the tree during Christmas season. She is also the one who can shake a wrapped present and tell you exactly what is inside … a talent she inherited from her father (who is extremely difficult to surprise as well). So I knew I would have to enlist his help on ways to keep this huge secret and to make it happen.
Rule number one … don’t tell her brother … he might let the secret slip.
Rule number two … leave nothing to be found. This was a difficult one, but luckily we were able to arrange furniture pick up for the day of the surprise. All of the accessories were kept in hiding until the big day.
Rule number three … occupy her away from home … this was difficult too, but thankfully a friend entertained her for the day, giving us time to put everything together and make this surprise happen.
The end result … a dreamy, pink, grey and cream Parisian themed room that incorporates some of her favorite things:
* “20” white helium filled balloons hanging from her ceiling…
* Her number 20 balloons, placed on this antique rustic cream bench, adorned with pink, cream and gold sequin banner skirt
* Her light up “B” initial bedside lamp, coupled with a glittery Eiffel tower, on this antiqued cream bedside table
* A treble clef sign, her keyboard, guitar and ukelele … she adores all things musical …
* A favorite Bible verse, which I remind her of frequently … “You are fearfully and wonderfully made” Psalm 139:14
* Her Eiffel tower screen, in the corner
* This antiqued desk, complete with bling drawer handles, accessorized with pink paper holder and pink buckets for pens and supplies
* School supplies … always one of her favorite things, plenty of stripes, chevron, colors and designs for pens, pencils, folders and more
* Gorgeous metal scroll headboard
* pink ruffled bedding
* Cream, antiqued chest of drawers, offering tons of storage! The thing that wowed me on this chest of drawers was that mirror … oh, I love that mirror!
* Touches of glitter and sparkle all around, because my girl loves the bling
What was her reaction? Sadly, I didn’t get to see it in person… it honestly took every.single.minute to pull this together and the second we finished, we had to head to a soccer game in Greensboro for our son. So, we face-timed when she arrived back home and told her to look for something in her room … her reaction …priceless…she was overjoyed, so appreciative and so in love with her new room! She claims it was the best birthday present ever and she was completely surprised and that is the biggest surprise of all!!! 🙂
Melissa Treen Photography is a custom photographer in the Greensboro, High Point, Kernersville, Burlington and Chapel Hill areas of North Carolina. Melissa has a background in design and loves incorporating special touches into her portrait sessions of baby, maternity, motherhood, family, child, infant, pregnancy, newborn, high school senior, teen, toddler and commercial project photography. She also is available for interior design projects upon request.